"Well, when you go asking for a job, just ask to speak with Arty
Gordon. There's another fellow there named Hal Racab, and he is more
likely to bump you off than hire you!" The clerk at the hotel warned Jim Harris.
"Thanks fer the advice." Jim responded with a half smile, then proceeded up the stairs to the room he'd been assigned. "That Hal Racab," Jim thought to himself, "Everywhere I go, I'm warned about him. I wish there were an easy way to find out if he's as bad as everyone is saying."
MEANWHILE
A tall thin man was weaving his way through the crowds near the train station. He seemed anxious and was acting very suspiciously, of coarse, nobody in the station seemed to notice, for they were all much too busy for anyone's business but their own. He worked his way carefully around a variety of people until he came to a bald little man at the very edge of the crowd.
"Where'd 'e go?" the little man asked the tall one.
"Don't know, he slipped away from me into a alley somewhere, but when I looked down the alley where I thought I saw him go, the street was empty." The tall man was acting nervously afraid of the little bald man, which seems strange since he is taller and younger than the little man. "What are you gonna tell Boss?" He asked in a mousy voice.
"Me?" the little man said with a vicious laugh, "I ain't gonna tell Boss nothin'. You're gonna tell the Boss yerself!"
"That's not fair!" wailed the tall man as he practically shaking in his boots. "You were the one who promised Boss that you'd deliver; swore to it! I only ever said maybe!"
"Haha," the little man came back with his unpleasant laugh, "Well, then 'maybe' Boss wont fire you!"
"Boss doesn't fire people, he..."
To be continued...
"Thanks fer the advice." Jim responded with a half smile, then proceeded up the stairs to the room he'd been assigned. "That Hal Racab," Jim thought to himself, "Everywhere I go, I'm warned about him. I wish there were an easy way to find out if he's as bad as everyone is saying."
MEANWHILE
A tall thin man was weaving his way through the crowds near the train station. He seemed anxious and was acting very suspiciously, of coarse, nobody in the station seemed to notice, for they were all much too busy for anyone's business but their own. He worked his way carefully around a variety of people until he came to a bald little man at the very edge of the crowd.
"Where'd 'e go?" the little man asked the tall one.
"Don't know, he slipped away from me into a alley somewhere, but when I looked down the alley where I thought I saw him go, the street was empty." The tall man was acting nervously afraid of the little bald man, which seems strange since he is taller and younger than the little man. "What are you gonna tell Boss?" He asked in a mousy voice.
"Me?" the little man said with a vicious laugh, "I ain't gonna tell Boss nothin'. You're gonna tell the Boss yerself!"
"That's not fair!" wailed the tall man as he practically shaking in his boots. "You were the one who promised Boss that you'd deliver; swore to it! I only ever said maybe!"
"Haha," the little man came back with his unpleasant laugh, "Well, then 'maybe' Boss wont fire you!"
"Boss doesn't fire people, he..."
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment