A tall policeman was walking by the station on his nightly rounds, and stopped in front of Jim Harris to have a chat.
"What are you doing out in the rain at a train station at this hour of the night?" He asked with a laugh. Jim smiled a friendly grin.
"I was in a great hurry to catch a train, and since I was already in this neighbourhood, I decided to save a taxi fare."
"I see," said the officer, "but this is a dangerous area for one to be out in at night. The place is filled with thieves and murderers!"
"Yes, I know, I saw two policemen catch a shoplifter earlier this evening!" Jim answered.
"Trains due in 2 minutes!" Hollered the pudgy man at the ticket counter. Jim and the policeman looked up as they heard the high pitched whistle of the train as it approached.
"Well, I'd best be about my work, be safe on your journey, friend!" Said the policeman turning to leave. Jim nodded a thanks as he got up and walked towards the boarding platform.
When the train had stopped, only a few people got off, and only Jim got on. He never knew what a narrow escape he had just then, for the two men were still watching him from the shadows.
"The boss ain't gonna like this!" One said to the other turning away from the now empty train station.
Jim, safely on the train, let his thoughts wander about the difficult situation in which he found himself.
To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment